Public Works Department – Town of St. Walburg, SK
The Town of St. Walburg has a position available immediately in the Public Works Department. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the daily operations for the Town in consultation with the Public Works Committee and the Chief Administrative Officer.
This position is perfect for an individual who is looking for a family-work balance situation and enjoys small town living.
Benefits of the Community:
The Town of St. Walburg has a progressive attitude and friendly, welcoming atmosphere. St. Walburg with a population of approximately 690 people is a vibrant, growing community located in one of the most beautiful areas in the province.
- Rich agricultural land, cattle/grain, mixed forest, oil and gas, closely located to lakes, fishing, hunting, golfing and other outdoor activities with urban access within 60 minutes.
- Complete recreation board offering facilities such as arena, bowling and curling;
- Services to our community, including but not limited to water, sewer and garbage removal;
- K-12 school, health clinics, seniors care and facilities, programing for students of all ages including afterschool and summer programs providing homework assistance and a healthy snack program;
- Numerous commercial businesses and new residential developments that are continuously moving forward;
- Additional employment opportunities for spouses with homes available for purchase or rent.
- Excellent salary range that is negotiable depending on qualifications and experience with an annual wage review, please submit your wage request with your resume;
- Full Time Permanent position;
- 40 hours per week, generally Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.; and
- Full Benefit and Pension Packages.
Positions Duties: Including but not limited to:
- Follow all safety and OHS standards;
- Assist the Utilities Supervisor as required;
- Oversee seasonal staff and general labour contractors as required;
- Maintains streets, paved roads, filling potholes, sidewalks, spread sand or salt on sidewalks for snow or ice control, etc.
- Patrols gravelled roads;
- Maintains public works building, parts and supplies;
- Ensures that ditches and culverts are opened and draining
- Maintains and services all municipal machinery and buildings owned by the Town;
- Plows snow from all streets and access alleys;
- Maintains and repairs all street signs;
- Maintain green spaces, tree pruning and removal if necessary;
- Coordinate and follow through with Public Works capital projects; and
- Collaborate with all stakeholders involved with direct reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer.
Qualifications and Attributes required:
- Possess self-motivation, excellent work ethic, and honesty to work with Council, staff, ratepayers, developers, and contractors;
- Positive cooperative attitude;
- Strong communicator with excellent public relation skills who takes pride in their work and the community;
- Working knowledge of the operation of a variety of different pieces of equipment (Grader, loader, mowers, etc.);
- Mechanically inclined with experience in construction, Public Works equipment operations and maintenance being an asset;
- Be able to operate in a fast-paced environment that requires a multiple skill set;
- Minimum Class 3 with air is required;
- Minimum Class I Water Treatment and Distribution as well as Level I Waste Water Distribution would be considered an asset but not required with the ability to obtain proper certification within one year of hire;
- Gas Chlorination Ticket is an asset but not required, willing to obtain proper certification within one year of hire;
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent;
- Clean Driver’s Abstract;
- Criminal Record Check;
- Confined Space Entry and Rescue, First Aid/CPR, WHMIS are required.
- Successful individual would relocate to our community, to provide the level of service required for a community of our size.
Apply To: Candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a cover letter with an up-to-date resume, current drivers abstract including SGI medical, criminal record check and three references to email@example.com. We thank all interested candidates for their time and efforts; however only candidates we wish to interview will be contacted.
Closing date: Until a suitable candidate is found
Town of St. Walburg
PO Box 368
St. Walburg, SK S0M 2T0
Fax: (306) 248-3484